This course introduces linear regression, a powerful technique for studying relationships between quantitative variables. Summarising relationships by the most appropriate equation (modelling) is very quick when using a statistical package. It is also easy to progress from simple to complex models such as comparison of regressions. The course introduces commonly-used linear regression techniques using a combination of presentations and computer-based practicals, whereby theory is firmly placed into practice.
Participants will acquire an appreciation of how basic regression concepts can be extended easily to investigate more complex situations. You will also learn how to interpret computer output and to report results in non-statistical language, as well as a guide to the analysis of variance table.
- Exploratory stage: modelling relationships
- Simple linear regression: fitting straight lines and curves
- Assessing the model assumptions: model checking using residuals
- Extensions to the linear model: comparison of regression lines
- Multiple linear regression and model selection
- Use of transformations; case study: use of the logarithmic transformations
- Quadratic regression models and their application
- Common issues in multiple linear regression: interpretation of R-squared, correlation versus regression, association versus causation, multicollinearity.
DAILY TIMETABLE (subject to minor changes)
|Time||Session / Description|
||Arrival and Registration
A working knowledge of basic statistical concepts is assumed, namely; standard errors, confidence intervals, hypothesis testing and p-values
Terms and Conditions
- Student registrations: Attendees must provide proof of full time student status at the time of booking to qualify for student registration rate (valid student ID card or authorised letter of enrolment).
- Additional discounts are available for multiple registrations.
- Cost includes course materials, lunch and refreshments.
- Delegates are provided with temporary licences for the software(s) used in the course and will be instructed to download and install the software prior to the start of the course. (Alternatively, laptops can be hired for a fee of £10.00 (ex. VAT) per day).
- If you need assistance in locating hotel accommodation in the region, please notify us at the time of booking.
- Payment of course fees required prior to the course start date.
- Registration closes 5-calendar days prior to the start of the course.
- 100% fee returned for cancellations made over 28-calendar days prior to start of the course.
- 50% fee returned for cancellations made 14-calendar days prior to the start of the course.
- No fee returned for cancellations made less than 14-calendar days prior to the start of the course.
The number of delegates is restricted. Please register early to guarantee your place.